Sunday, May 29, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

I hope everyone is having a relaxing and fun Memorial Day, and taking a little time to consider what today is all about. I'm very thankful to know people and live in a country with people who are willing to put themselves in harm's way to ensure that the average citizen doesn't have to.

 I hope everyone is enjoying good weather and getting outside and grilling this weekend--I know we are!! To me, Memorial Day food always includes the basics, like Hamburgers and hotdogs, but it also includes a few of my favorite barbecue foods, like Kebabs and guacamole.


I kept these Kebabs pretty simple by marinating pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch cubes in a tangy soy sauce (it's an Indonesian soy sauce called Ketjap Manis) for about 30 minutes. I also soaked the skewers in water as the meat marinated. Then I threaded whatever veggies I had on hand onto the skewers along with a few pieces of meat and drizzled the whole thing with a little olive oil.


I sparked up the grill, and once the heat hit about 350 degrees, I put them on the grill and didn't touch them again until the temperature of the grill registered between 350 and 400 degrees. I kept working this way, turning and waiting for the temperature to come back up, until the kebabs were nice and caramelized. They didn't need salt or pepper, and we ate them as they were still a little warm. YUM!


The guacamole recipe will come a little later. Until then, have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment